07 April, 2024

398 The Remix According To Spooky



They've come a long way since I first came across them on the Dub House Disco compilation.  The excellent cover of Persuasion on the Trance Europe Express was well received in my household.  I remember I'd always get them confused with DJ Spooky on remix credits.  That includes the first two on this mix, I thought they were DJ Spooky.  I did include this Lush and Chapterhouse remix on my alternative remixes post a few months back.  They're solid tracks that really build upon the alternative rock basis.  Natasha Atlas has such a hypnotic voice, and love what Spooky has done to build up the track here.  The Waterlillies I found while researching this mix, so not much to say there.  Aqualung Dub is the first of a few self-remixes I included.  Next up is a pair with William Orbit, one a remix of his superb track "Water From A Vine Leaf", and the second is a collaboration with him remixing Sven Vath.  Ultramarine is one group where I really only liked a handful of tracks, this being one of them.  Then Natasha Atlas makes a second appearance here, this time as part of the Oval Five Project.  Wubble U with a fun titled track.  And ending it with two more self-remixes from Spooky.  Bamboo 12" was in heavy rotation when one of my friends started DJ'ing; he quit a couple years later and gave me his heavily worn copy which I still enjoy with all its pops and crackles.  This is the aforementioned Track Europe Express track, and I like this remix most in all its ambient glory. 


00:00  Lush - Undertow (Spooky remix)
09:03  Chapterhouse - We Are The Beautiful (Spooky's Extravaganja Dub mix)
17:29  Natasha Atlas - Duden (Spooky Day Trip to Sousse)
24:21  Waterlillies - Tempted (Apple Crumble Mix)
29:11  Spooky - Aqualung Dub (remix)
33:11  William Orbit - Water From A Vine Leaf (Acid Bath mix by Spooky)
39:36  Sven Vath - An Accident In Paradise (William Orbit & Spooky remix)
45:51  Ultramarine - Lights In My Brain (Spooky Remix)
51:53  The Oval Five Project feat Natasha Atlas - Gandharva (Doi-Oing vs Spooky Vocal mix)
57:21  Wubble U - Smoking Pot (Spooky Mix)
63:33  Spooky - Bamboo (Theme From Catapult)
70:48  Spooky & Billie Ray Martin - Persuasion (TEX remix)
 

photo credit: discogs

No comments:

Post a Comment