02 February, 2024

361 Indie Folk covers




A lighter mood than the last two sets of covers.  The first track is admittedly ripped from  YouTube as there hasn't been a proper recording of it by Hannah Rarity, its such a fantastic rendition I couldn't resist including it.  Then a solid cover of Cat Stevens by Father John Misty.  Pretty sure I've shared this one before, its Antony covering Fleetwood Mac, making their music tolerable for me.  Another Frightened Rabbit cover, that was released before their recent tribute album "Tiny Changes."  J Mascis makes another appearance here, with a less noisy cover than his Cure one.  Marissa Nadler is a favorite, and honestly I prefer her sets of cover songs more than some of her albums.  My Morning Jacket doing an oldie the justice it deserves.  When I heard this about 10 years back, it made me nostalgic and I rewatched the movie with Corey Feldman and Jason Robards, which isn't the best but still enjoyable.  Next up is a perennial favorite, and even more enjoyable hearing the man in black team up with Joe Strummer.  Another Dinosaur Jr song?  It was listed as Dinosaur Jr, but its actually J Mascis solo.  Yeah, cause this one is so fantastic it had to be included here.  Following that gem up with another solid Smith's cover done with the thick accent from the Twilight Sad.  

I listed the next song by the artists names, as it wasn't officially a Monsters of Folk song or appearance, and yes I did truncate the ending because they keep going on and on, which I felt detracts from the rest of the great song.  I saw this track on Khayem's blog recently, doing a Suzanna Hoffs overview, and here it is again.  I never thought I'd see a Broadcast cover, but here it is from Of Montreal nonetheless.    Bonnie Pink doing a great service to another of my favorite bands, The Sundays.  Sturgill putting his country twang on a Nirvana classic which works very well in this style.  I had a hard time deciding between this and his cover of "The Promise."  Yo La Tengo had to make an appearance somewhere, I mean come on, they do the marathon of covers for WFMU's pledge drive every year and they can pretty much nail any song.  Bonnie Dobson from a Shirley Collins tribute album, which is one of those things where Shirley just arranged songs, so is it really a tribute when the artists are doing their own arrangements of traditional songs?  Still, love anytime I can give props to Shirley Collins, the secret Queen of England.  

I previously shared a lot of songs from Faye Wong on the Cocteau Twins posts here, and this time she's doing a pretty faithful cover of the Sundays.  As we near the end, I included Seu Jorge from the Life Aquatic soundtrack, which if you don't know is all Brazilian acoustic covers of David Bowie for the entire film.  Jose Gonzalez appears here with his emotional cover of Massive Attack.  Naevus, a neo-folk post-industrial group, gives their respect to Pink Floyd showing their influence spans genres.  Ending it with Kate Walsh (not the actress), I had to look it up to be sure) and her cover of Lush which I like a lot.  


00:00  Hannah Rarity - Poke (Frightened Rabbit)
03:21  Father John Misty - Trouble (Cat Stevens)
06:28  This Mortal Coil - You and Your Sister (Big Star)
09:41  Antony - Landslide (Fleetwood Mac)
13:06  Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Swim Until You Can't See Land (Frightened Rabbit)
16:35  J Mascis - Fade Into You (Mazzy Star)
21:09  Marissa Nadler - Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kris Kristofferson)
26:24  My Morning Jacket - Dream a Little Dream of Me (Andre/Kahn/Schwandt)
30:48  Joe Strummer & Johnny Cash - Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
34:08  J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr) - Boy with the thorn in his side (The Smiths)
35:59  The Twilight Sad - Half a Person (The Smiths)
39:27  M Ward, Conor Oberst & Jim James - Girl From The North Country (Dylan)
42:51  Rainy Day - I'll Keep It With Mine (Dylan)
46:10  Of Montreal - Color Me In (Broadcast)
47:58  Bonnie Pink - Through The Dark (The Sundays)
52:01  Sturgill Simpson - In Bloom (Nirvana)
56:00  Yo La Tengo - Take Care (Big Star)
58:27  Bonnie Dobson and The Lords of Thyme - Hares on the Mountain (Shirley Collins/trad)
61:13  Faye Wong - Wai Fei Jok Dai (The Sundays)
65:09  Seu Jorge - Quicksand (Bowie)
69:38  Jose Gonzalez - Teardrop (Massive Attack)
72:40  Naevus - Green is the Colour (Pink Floyd)
75:37  Kate Walsh - Monochrome (Lush)



photo credit:  Cairn near Cherry Creek State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment