26 February, 2024

374 An Old Dub Mix featuring me




Fairly certain I made this mix in 2008 because of the inclusion of DubXanne.  

Some shameless self-promotion here, probably the first time I've shared my own music on this blog.  I was remix swapping with API  (a good friend I made on the Cloud Zero email list, for fans of the Legendary Pink Dots) at the time I made this mix CDr, and my dub mix caught the attention of Frankie Bones on myspace (that should help solidify the date).  There are two or three versions of this track that were floating about the internet; my original demo which I sent to API - and he shared with others not realizing I wasn't done.  He responded back to me by adding about another minute of his touches/additional remix to the track.  I felt that he had taken it away from the dub I had intended, and made it into more of a dub-house track.  I then stripped some of his additions, remixed a couple of his added samples and extended my demo into the track heard here.

The rest of this playlist comes from tracks I was really excited to find in my constant search for great dub music.  Pretty sure I only had the free sample of the Itch-E and Scratch-E track, which is one of Andy Rantzen's aliases.  I struck up a friendship with him based on my unyielding adoration of the Pelican Daughters.  That isn't THE Sonic Boom on this mix, I was confused by that for many years and recently found out it is actually a pseudonym of Victor Axlerod.  He should be known to anyone into Daptone records, and was a longtime member of Antibalas and The Dap-Kings.  The His Name is Alive tracks are quite fantastic, "Cinnamon Sound System" is from the Friendly Science 7" they put out, and is one of my most cherished pieces of vinyl.  As I mentioned on a previous mix, I am likely to include Twilight Circus on every future dub mix, applies to ones I created 15 years ago as well.


00:00  Tino - Sunday Dub
05:27  The Dub Project - Smokey
10:34  Linval Thompson - Jamaican Colley (Version)
14:16  Jah Wobble & The Chinese Dub Orchestra - Dragon and Phoenix Dub
16:35  Sly & Robbie - Jah In Dub
19:57  Big Youth - Dub is What We Need
23:56  Sonic Boom - The Dub and The Restless
28:24  Earth and Stone - False Rulers Dub
31:46  Mykal Rose - No Burial
36:40  His Name Is Alive - One Year Dub
40:34  His Name Is Alive - Cinnamon Sound System
44:19  The Aggrovators - Dub on My Pillow
47:28  Doreen & Soul Vendors - Sugar (Version)
50:12  Lloyd's All Stars - Dread Dub (It Dread Out Deh Version)
53:26  Ranking Joe - Don't Follow Babylon
57:38  DubXanne - Walking on the Moon (Walking on the Dub)
63:26  Pablo Moses - Dubbing Is A Must
68:05  The Clash - Robber Dub
72:40  Itch-e & Scratch-e - Creepydub
73:13  API - Left Hand Dub (by m00zl3r)


Photo Credit: https://hackaday.com/2019/11/29/dub-siren-synth-does-it-the-old-school-way/

No comments:

Post a Comment