14 February, 2024

367 Mark's mix 2



Another one of mine, with a lot of doubles in here.  Maybe I was making that the theme, or maybe I couldn't decide between the two tracks.  Who knows, it was over 20 years back.  Not as separated by the sides as the last one, this is a good mix of alternative, industrial, reggae, punk, some jazz and my personal heart-warming genre of classical guitar.  Starting it with "those songs" and quickly moving along to the Clash's iconic track.  Then switching gears heavily to the Tear Garden before moving to some alternative rock with Dinosaur Jr and my favorite of their early tracks.  Lush's punkier side from their first few EPs, and reusing this Jane's addiction medley of the Doors, X, and The Germs.  Early Pixies is the era I like most, they're one of those bands where its my opinion they started out strong, and started to wane a little with each subsequent release.  I don't know, Dootlittle is pretty solid of an album, but after that I only liked a couple tracks off each subsequent album.  Jesus and Mary Chain easily leads into some punk via the Misfits and The Stitches.  Four is a local Denver band, and they must have opened for nearly every concert I went to for about 3 or 4 years.  I remember running from the tear gas with a member of their band after a riot broke out at a Propagandhi show which foolishly was held in a DAV.  Hmm, next notable track is Verve, I really liked their early works, then completely lost interest overnight and don't remember why.  Sarah McLachlan was interesting before her true calling as the one making you cry at all those ASPCA commercials.  The 12" with the Rabbit in the Moon remixes is solid gold, easily one of my favorite singles in my collection.  RevCo and Fred just for fun, then Wire makes an appearance as this was the time when I struggled to get my friends to give them a chance.  I touted Pink Flag as the punk juggernaut it was, yet my friends all chose later albums as their entry point and couldn't figure out what I was talking about.  Then my friend Tony got a copy of the Dot Dash 7" and everyone else in our group was converted.  Just have to find that right track to change someone's mind.  Billie Holiday brings in the final genre shifts, before the flamenco infected Coil track, and Elliot Fisk performing two of the classical guitar pieces I was working on at the time. 

00:00  Sublime - Smoke Two Joints
02:53  Sublime - Lets Go Get Stoned
06:30  Peter Tosh - Legalize It
10:58  The Clash - The Guns of Brixton
14:00  The Tear Garden - Tasteless
18:46  Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene
22:14  Lush - Bitter
24:08  Jane's Addiction - L.A. Medley
27:46  Pixies - Isla De Encanta
29:25  Pixies - Nimrod's Son
31:34  The Jesus and Mary Chain - Head On
35:35  The Misfits - Horror Hotel
36:59  The Stitches - My Baby Hates Me
39:04  Artificial Peace - Wasteland
40:57  Four - Omar's A Hippie
43:25  Descendents - I'm Not A Loser

44:48  Mazzy Star - Blue Flower (Slapp Happy)
48:17  Verve - Slide Away
52:10  Sarah McLachlan - Fear (Luna Sol Remix)
58:01  Revolting Cocks - Attack Ships on Fire
62:46  Fred - Rosebud: Miss X
68:43  Wire - Mannequin
71:12  Wire - 1 2 X U
73:01  The Smiths - How Soon is Now (12" Version)
79:33  Billie Holiday - Comes Love
83:29  Sunny Day Real Estate - 48
88:05  Coil - Lorca Nor Orca
90:07  Elliot Fisk - Julio Sagreras El Colibri
91:17  Elliot Fisk - Antonio Lauro Carora
 

photo credit: mix tape

No comments:

Post a Comment