04 February, 2024

362 Hip Hop Down Other




A chill mix with plenty of variety, well chill after the bombastic opening and slightly out of place ending.  Came from digging up The Earthlings CD, and aching to revisit all those rare mixes from Portishead (maybe not so rare anymore).  The rest I filled in the gaps with some similarly themed songs.  I was happy to find those two guest appearances from Butterfly with Digable Planets, under his other monikers.  Love the Stereo MC's remix, but its Steve Hillage so what's not to enjoy there?  This Jah Wobble track has quickly become my daughter's favorite.  She loves chanting Om Namah Shiva, and likes telling the story of the white python she saw at the zoo named Shiva.  The Jack Danger's track from the Ginsberg tribute is quite a standout there, and harkens back to the Subliminal Sandwich era, where he still threw in fun tracks on his albums.  Found a great odd track from Modern English that I never would've suspected was theirs.  Then more Earthlings with a great track including Lemmy Kilmister and the Violent Femmes. Ending with Faithless, just because the song is like my name (real and alias).

00:00  The Earthlings - Active Programming
02:56  Twilight Circus - Highway (Meat Beat Manifesto remix)
08:27  All India Radio - Street Conversions (Remix)
12:08  Portishead - Lot More
16:28  Tek 9 feat Cheewa(Butterfly)- Gettin Down Again 
19:48  Stereo MC's - Fever (Steve Hillage Remix)
24:30  Jah Wobble - Om Namah Shiva
29:07  Jack Dangers - Holy Ghost on the Nod Over the Body of Bliss (Ginsburg)
32:48  Portishead - Still Numb
36:28  4 Hero feat Ish(Butterfly) - The Action (Shawn J Period remix)
39:57  All India Radio - Vega
44:41  Modern English - Film One
48:04  Portishead - Glory Box (Scorn)
54:05  The Earthlings - Sample Providing
56:05  The Beatnigs - Jazzy Beats
57:53  Faithless - Woozy



photo credit: Dicks Sporting Goods Field

5 comments:

  1. I’ve got to get a couple of hours’ work in tonight before the week officially starts tomorrow. You’ve just provided the perfect soundtrack. Thanks, Mooz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially looking forward to the Steve Hillage mix of Stereo MCs, which I didn’t know existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great track, I was surprised when I came across it as well. I hope the mix helped your work go a little smoother last night.

      Delete
  3. Tell me about Earthlings. I cannot find that song or album that sounds like Star Wars. Reminds me of 2 Skinnee J's. They have a couple of Star Wars "hip hop" tracks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, they were a one and done hip hop crew. This is their only album, though the individuals have gone on to some (though not much) solo efforts. I want to say I picked this up around 2000 or so, and a roommate had introduced me to one of the members that had been in her record store on that particular day, but memory is a bit fuzzy of that interaction. That Star Wars opener is pretty bombastic, the rest of the album are loose freestyles over pretty solid beats.

      https://www.discogs.com/release/1814621-The-Earthlings-Dues-Paid-Live-Album

      Delete