16 February, 2024

368 Chris' mix



Chris is still a very close friend of mine.  Back in high school and early college years when we hung out 5 days out of every 7, he was the most open to what everyone called "that crazy Mooz music."  Yeah, I liked what no one else in my friend group could stand, except for Chris.  He'd always give my mixtapes a good honest full listen before heaping on any criticism.  He also would show that he did find some stuff he liked as reflected in his mixes back to me.  This one shows that in abundance.  

I'd have never given Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould that much attention if it weren't for Chris.  He was a big fan, but not too pushy.  There was always a conversation to be had on the subject, and I credit him for taking me from a casual listener to avid fan of his work.  I returned the favor by exposing Chris to Mission of Burma, and he's still as big a fan of their works as ever.  

Side A runs the gamut from the Cure to Sick of it All and Citizen Fish.  Early Helmet tracks are great, before they really got too polished in their execution.  I remember the Citizen Fish show at the Mercury Cafe in 1996 was probably the wildest and most violent show I've been to.  Chairs thrown, people pushed down two flights of stairs, a fight between every song. 

On Side B there are two tracks that I just couldn't track down the songs for this rebuilt mix.  I think I found one, but it was mislabeled on my hard drive so not 100% on the Circus Tents song.  The Gain being the other track I couldn't find.  Knowing my dislike for the Grateful Dead, my friend slipped in this Jane's Addiction cover thinking I wouldn't notice.  Then the Subhumans, which every punk should love. The Queers are always good for a juvenile chuckle.  This was the time we all found out about the Templars and were in a rush to see who could buy all their albums first.  Nice seeing early AFI on here, before they became what they used to protest - like the song High School Football Hero, or I want a mohawk but my mom won't let me get one.  Great punk after this track though, and Chris ended with some more nod's to my taste with Shelter, DRI, and of course Miles.

Still loving this mix, it has enough variety and only a couple tracks that I skip when listening now.


00:00  The Cure - The Caterpillar (Flicker Mix)
05:06  Pixies - Allison (live)
06:18  Sugar - Running Out of Time (live)
08:40  At The Drive-In - Speechless
12:07  Helmet - Distracted
15:07  Black Sabbath - Paranoid
17:52  The Pist - The Customer Is Always Right
19:47  Sick Of It All - Soul Be Free
22:18  Mission of Burma - Singalong
25:44  Channel 3 - Manzanar
27:49  The Menace - GLC
30:04  Pink Lincolns - Monsters
31:38  Citizen Fish - Face Off/Youth
36:59  Soulfly - Prejudice
43:50  The Feds - People Think

45:28  Jane's Addiction - Ripple (Grateful Dead)
49:56  Subhumans - New Age
51:36  ? - The Gain - Sick of You
51:37  The Queers - Half Shitfaced
53:38  Good Riddance - 21 Guns
55:33  The Templars - You'd Better Beware
58:49  White Kaps - NRA
60:40  AFI - Love is A Many Splendored Things
62:01  Circus Tents (?) - Open Your Eyes
65:06  Union 13 - Over The Hill
66:51  Reagan Youth - No Class
68:22  The Bruisers - Lunatic
71:04  Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Radio Radio
74:06  Parasites - Die Trying
76:02  Operation Ivy - Someday
77:39  Swingin Utters - Nothing to Rely On
78:44  Face to Face - One Way or Another
80:35  Chain of Strength - Through These Eyes
82:14  Shelter - Chance
83:25  DRI - Commuter Man
84:21  Miles Davis - Boplicity



photo credit: mix tape

No comments:

Post a Comment