31 January, 2024

360 Metal Covers




I've always been a metalhead at heart.  Might not be the genre I listen to the most, but what I do still put on, I am passionate about.  Continuing my string of covers mixes, here is a solid set of metal covers full of unique takes on some well known tunes.  Starting it off right with The Iron Maidens doing an Iron Maiden cover of Wasted Years.   Dr Know (not the one from Bad Brains) covering Metallica, from what I consider their last great album, And Justice for All is their transitional album, and everything Black album and beyond is absolute rubbish.   This might be the only song I have from Gruesome, I should check out more based on how well they did Slayer.  Zu is such a bonkers all over the place avant garde band, it really wasn't much of a surprise that they did a Residents cover.  Cult of Luna does Joy Division right, my #1 favorite post-metal act and I fully endorse seeing them for their spectacular lighting display, done by Alexis Sevenier.  The Voivod track is one I loved as a teenager and helped me understand that Pink Floyd was so much more than "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall."  

Pulled this excellent Fantomas track from "The Directors Cut" which is a covers album of film music and probably my favorite Mike Patton effort.  I selected this early cut of Fudge Tunnel doing a Cream cover, probably because I've used their Black Sabbath cover already.  Helmet covering Bjork is worth tracking down the MOM (Music for Mother Earth) compilations, and there is a wonderful song by the Butthole Surfers on there as well though the rest of the comps aren't that great.  The Band Isis (sad they had to change and clarify their name) did this fabulous Godflesh cover on one of their first EPs and it sits next to their Black Sabbath cover, which is equally amazing.  Napalm Death from Virus 100, the 100th release from Alternative Tentacles label and you can tell they were just made to cover this track; also check the Sepultura track from that same comp, actually almost every track is worth your time there.  Slayer and Ice-T team up to cover the Exploited on the "Judgement Night" soundtrack, that's such an epic album with rap and rock/metal pairings, I still come back to it often.  Then maybe not quite so metal is Motorhead covering my favorite Stone's song, and yeah Lemmy does it proper.  I really like the passion Rob Halford puts into his Dio impression on this classic track from Rainbow.  Great song, and for a radically different approach check out my His Name Is Alive posts, they did this one too.


00:00  Iron Maidens - Wasted Years (Iron Maiden)
05:01  Dr. Know - Master of Puppets (Metallica)
09:54  Gruesome - Black Magic (Slayer)
13:20  Zu - Easter Woman (The Residents)
14:21  Mouth of the Architect - In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
21:56  Cult of Luna - 24 Hours (Joy Division)
26:21  Godflesh - 40 Versions (Wire)
30:09  Voivod - The Nile Song (Pink Floyd)
33:57  Fantomas - The Omen (Ave Satani)
35:44  Fudge Tunnel - Sunshine of Your Love (Cream)
39:50  Helmet - Army of Me (Bjork)
44:12  Isis - Street Cleaner (Godflesh)
49:49  Napalm Death - Nazi Punks Fuck Off (Dead Kennedys)
51:07  Slayer feat Ice-T - Disorder (The Exploited)
56:01  Motorhead - Sympathy for The Devil (Rolling Stones)
61:04  Rob Halford - Man On The Silver Mountain (Rainbow)


photo credit: meme from when Oppenheimer was released.

No comments:

Post a Comment