03 January, 2024

350a Ryan Moore - Twilight Circus Early Years


Happy New Year!

Here is another of my favorite bassists (having already gone into great depths covering Bill Laswell and my last post on Al Cisneros).  I first came across Ryan Moore as a member of the Legendary Pink Dots.  It was a real highlight for me to see his solo set as Twilight Circus open on one tour of the Dots.  I love his roots meets modern style of dub production, which can also be felt in many of his contributions to the Dots' discography.  He was also a core member of the Tear Garden which is a massive credit on anyone's resume.  Ryan is also a session musician, appearing on albums by Hilt, Single Gun Theory, Lava Hay, Final Cut, DNA Le Draw D-Kee, Brain Box, Dark Star, Edward Ka-Spel solo albums, Dead Voices on Air, and the Mort Aux Vaches appearance of Muslimgauze as a percussionist (Wow!).  Then there are his productions for Mykal/Michael Rose, Ranking Joe and a long list of elite reggae artists.  I'll get into all of that in subsequent mixes.

I've broken this down into five distinct mixes starting with my favorite, his instrumental dub period.  This mix contains one track from each of his albums/singles that I have to show the evolution of his style over time.  There are a couple dubplates/test pressings in my collection that I just didn't take the time to rip for this effort, I'm sure those will show up in some shape or form soon enough.  I realize I included "Slicer Dub Plate" on here twice, however these are vastly different mixes, similar to my inclusion of "Session" and "Session Dub (remix)."

Shout out to NØ's blog, they've offered a fine selection of his tunes as well.  I'm always happy to see an artist well loved and well represented to share the joy of their creation.

This is some of my favorite and the most revisited music in my collection.

00:00  Dub Frequency (In Dub Vol 1)
03:37  Arabix (Other Worlds of Dub)
08:00  Beneath The Valley of Dub (UK Steppers)
12:39  Highway (Bin Shaker Dub)
15:58  Filter 13 (Wailers Tribute Mix) (Dub Plate Selection)
19:58  Shaka Version (Dub Plates Vol 2)
23:27  Kik (Horsie)
27:36  Depth Charge (Dub Voyage)
32:03  Fams (Volcanic Dub)
34:54  Session (Session Liberty Version)
39:14  Slicer Dub Plate (Dub Plates vol 3)
43:36  East of Memphis (Dub From The Secret Vaults)
45:07  Phase Anasi (Riddim Clash with DJ Spooky)
49:23  Weight & Treble (Dub Summit with DJ Spooky & Alter Echo)
53:08  Session Dub (Mad Processor Dub Mix) (Remixed: Dubwise)
57:38  Rolling Thunder (Parice Scott mix) (Remixed: Abstract Beats)
60:58  Slicer Dubplate (Brain in the Wire)
65:58  Ultra Binghi (Wild Planet)



photo credit: https://tapeop.com/interviews/26/twilight-circus/

1 comment:

  1. "great depths" -- I see what you did there! This looks GOOOOD

    ReplyDelete