I’d made these next four mixes for music while I was studying for some technical certifications. I’ll stagger them over the coming week. First up is the most mellow and drone centered of them, long tones with soft edges. I’ve just recently started to explore the vast discography of Motion Sickness of Time Travel, solo work of Rachel Evans. She’s married to Grant Evans, and they’ve got several projects together. I’m really fond of her style, lots of process vocals, or are they synth pads? Guess that is part of the charm. Biosphere needs no introduction, nor does Pete Namlook and Tetsu Inoue for this genre. Christina Vantzou who is half of Dead Texan (The other half being Adam Wiltzie of Stars of the Lid), quickly gained my attention when I came across her work. Each album is followed by an excellent remix album, something I really enjoy with artists do that. I came across Tor Lundvall through his collaboration with Tony Wakeford, and have really enjoyed his solo works as they can be quite dynamic for ambient work. His music sounds very much like what his paintings should sound like.
Kevin Richard Martin might seem out of place here at first, however his solo works under his own name (instead of The Bug, Techno Animal or King Midas Sound) show a completely different side. “Sleep Circle” is represented here as I keep returning to this as an album to fill an evening with peaceful music. Oneohtrix Point Never keeps calling to me, yet I feel overwhelmed by their discography as I have barely scratched the surface. Laraaji and Brian Eno, yeah this is a classic and great meditation music.
Included the full Harold Budd track here as its just so magical. Then Peter Andersson is another surprise, not for ambient music, because this is not his typical dark ambient style from Raison D’Etre. Stars of the Lid then Basinski’s Disintegration Loops excerpt are more modern classics of how this style keeps evolving and experimenting. Finally ending things with Richard Skelton and Bass Communion which helps me not feel guilty that almost two hours passed while this mix played.
01 Motion Sickness of Time Travel – Closer
02 Biosphere – Dover Ferryport
03 Pete Namlook and Tetsu Inoue – Orion Transfer 6
04 Christina Vantzou – 11 11
05 The Dead Texan – A Chronicle of Early Failures Pt Two
06 Tor Lundvall – Despair
07 Kevin Richard Martin – Worthlessness
08 Max Richter, Grace Davidson – Path 3 / Whose Name is Written on Water (Pt 2)
09 Tim Hecker – Live Room Out
10 Oneohtrix Point Never – Months
11 Laraaji – Meditation #2
12 Mark Isham – Tibet Part II
13 Harold Budd – Bismillahi ‘Rrahamani ‘Rrahim
14 Peter Andersson – Piano Movements VIII
15 Alio Die & Sylvi Alli – The Inner Sea (Silver Sea)
16 Stars of the Lid – The Better Angels of our Nation
17 William Basinski – dlp 1.2.2
18 Richard Skelton – The Viscid Substance
19 Bass Communion – A Grapefruit in the World of Park

No comments:
Post a Comment