24 August, 2023

311a - Broadcast's Nice Songs





Why oh why did it take me this long to put out an overview of what is easily my favorite group of all times?  I cannot overstate how passionately I adore this music.  The Noise Made By People was my first exposure which was amazing as I had always associated WARP records with innovative IDM/electronica and dance oriented music.  Here was this group that had electronic elements, but with catchy pop hooks, creative lyrics, and a sound reminiscent of library music and 60's soundtracks.  Their start with singles on Stereolab's Duophonic label was the absolute best launching pad for their sound, and WARP gave them the right exposure as they build their label roster as well.  This is a band where I can truly say there is something for everyone, and I mean it.

There is also a great Broadcast overview mix at Nothing's Going to Happen's blog.  Definitely worth checking out, as it covers some different ground than my two mixes.

00:00  Before We Begin
03:13  City In Progress
06:41  Papercuts
11:09  Message From Home
14:37  Come On Let's Go
17:45  Echo's Answer
20:51  The Book Lovers
24:18  Where Youth and Laughter Go (Peel session)
26:50  Accidents Will Happen (The Projects remixed)
30:19  The Be Colony (with The Focus Group)
34:47  Poem of Dead Song
37:14  Illumination
40:12  Bit 35
41:57  Still Feels Like Tears
45:32  Another Pearl (Badly Drawn Boy remixed)
49:29  Lights Out
54:00  Look Outside
57:40  The World Backwards
61:25  Unchanging Window
65:00  Tears in the Typing Pool
67:07  Winter Now


photo credit: https://www.clashmusic.com/features/complete-guide-broadcast/

2 comments:

  1. Superb selection there, Mooz. RIP Trish Keenan, hard to believe it's been over 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, what a superb legacy she has left us with.

      Delete