07 August, 2023

306 Popular songs with context


 



Inferred from the last mix and this one, I was in a much more lighthearted mood, after spending much of last week's posts diving deep into the dark realms of Current 93.  Life is all about balance and moderation after all.  Some call outs, I always preferred this version of Pretty in Pink, not as polished as the one from the movie.  My wife and I used to watch History Detectives on PBS and I loved that they used Elvis for the theme.  This Keren Ann track stands out in how it seamlessly transverses multiple genres in a short space.  The Iggy Pop track seems to get stuck in my head at least a few times a year.  RIP Prince, I was thrilled to see some of these tracks come out of his vault.  Last year my Xmas gift to my Dad was the Steve Miller box set, and yeah I do like a couple of his tracks.  Thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy, we listen to Redbone at least once a week now.  Had to include my favorite track by Bowie, and the prettiest song by VU.  

00:00  Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue
03:49  The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
07:33  Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives
11:11  Keren Ann - Lay Your Head Down
15:51  The Pretenders - Brass In Pocket
18:49  Iggy Pop feat Kate Pierson - Candy
22:41  Nina Simone - Here Comes The Sun
26:10  The Rolling Stones - I'm Free
28:29  The Faces - Ooh La La
31:45  Prince - Manic Monday
34:31  Steve Miller Band - Take The Money and Run
37:11  Redbone - Come and Get Your Love
40:31  David Bowie - Sound and Vision
43:28  The Rolling Stones - She's A Rainbow
47:37  The Velvet Underground - Stephanie Says
50:19  Billy Idol - Eyes Without A Face
54:19  Shannon - Let The Music Play
57:49  Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
63:41  Elton John - I'm Still Standing


photo credit: found comic

No comments:

Post a Comment