26 May, 2023

256 - Fun and Funky mix





Yep, this is a fun and funky mix for sure.  Very reflective of a point in time for me, but also nostalgic for some history.  I was re-watching Enter the Dragon when I realized the soundtrack kicks some serious butt.  A local radio station played this Roxy Music track, which honestly I'd never heard before and I got into the groove.  There's a lot of crate digging for sample sources like Bob James (come on, everyone should recognize this), Onesness of Juju (FSOL), Shamek Farrah (Scorn), Ken Thorne (Portishead), Mina (Elvis Costello) Shub Niggurath (Scorn).  The track from Selda is a great protest song, worth it to look up the translated lyrics.  My phone's ringtone was this Hildegard von Bingen song for quite a while, can't listen to it without looking at my phone now.  It took me far too long to track down this Dimitri from Tokyo EP, my friend had this on vinyl back in the 90s, and he swore up and down that this was Dmitry from Deee-Lite, which I believed for the last 20-30 years.  My last annecdote is that I sadly first heard The Damned on Phantasmagoria, when I really should have started at the beginning with Damned Damned Damned, anyhow this track stuck with me for is sillyness for a goth/punk band.


00:00  Lalo Schifrin - Williams Vs Han (Enter the Dragon)
02:15  Roxy Music - Love Is The Drug
06:21  Leo Nocentelli - Thinking of the Day
08:51  Bob James - Take Me To The Mardi Gras
14:25  Sammy Davis Jr - Barretas Theme
16:47  Oneness of Juju - Poo Too
20:28  Shamek Farrah - First Impressions
25:36  Ben E King - Stand By Me
28:22  Ken Thorne - In The Alleyways
31:42  Mina - Un Bacio E Troppo Poco
34:51  Selda - Utan Utan
37:41  Science Fiction Dance Party - Souk El Juma
40:25  The Cosmic Jokers - Intergalactic Nightclub
44:19  Silver Apples - A Pox On You
49:25  Hildegard von Bingen - Vision (O Euchari In Leta Via)
52:51  Timi Yuro - Satan Never Sleeps
55:01  Dimitri from Tokyo - Toujours L'Amore
59:14  The Damned - Grimly Fiendish
62:57  Martin Denny - Firecracker
65:16  Shub Niggurath - Yog Sottoth


photo credit: Williams vs Han (Enter The Dragon)

No comments:

Post a Comment