02 May, 2023

237 - Moby early years overview






Moby?  Seriously?   Yeah, I had a brief moment where I was really into his music.  Based on this overview you can tell which era.  By the time "Animal Rights" came out I was completely over it and never purchased another CD from him.  Glad he went on to such great success, but his humble beginnings is where I found the most joy.  These were some of the first "techno" CDs I bought, and it was the dubby feel to "Move" on Trance Europe Express that solidified my appreciation (sorry it wasn't available in the Spotify mix).  I saw him perform as the opening act on the "See The Light" tour with Vapourspace, Orbital and Aphex Twin.  The Twin Peaks homage "Go" is always great, and the b-sides from those early EPs are better than his album tracks.  My favorite release is the 6 track version of the Move EP.   I finished this mix with his guitar driven songs which I think hold up well on their own.  There is the added Bad Brains cover in the you tube mix, which isn't in the download because honestly, I forgot. Ending it all with where he started, in a punk band from the early 80s.


00:00  Go (Radio Edit)
03:33  Mobility
09:34  Move
15:20  All That I Need Is To Be Loved (Moby Dub)
22:44  Morning Dove
28:24  Next Is The E (Synthe Mix)
35:13  Go (Woodtick Mix)
41:41  Unloved Symphony
47:32  Thousand
51:43  The Rain Falls and the Sky Shudders
57:35  Straight To Hell (Feat Heather Nova) (The Clash)
62:00  Tiny Rubberband (Feat Butthole Surfers)
66:04  New Dawn Fades (Joy Division)
71:31  That's When I Reach For My Revolver (Misson of Burma)
75:22  All That I Need Is To Be Loved
78:01  Why Must I Follow (as Vatican Commandos)


photo credit: http://www.restassuredzine.com/news/4808-vatican-commandos-moby-release-three-new-songs

2 comments:

  1. Nice one, Mooz. I stuck with Moby well into the 2000s, though like you it's the earlier material that really captured my interest back in the day. I have some love for the Animal Rights album too, I saw Moby perform live for the first time then, an intimate gig in an indie/rock venue and he was great. The stripped down versions of Go and Hymn were memorable and All That I Need Is To Be Loved always had one foot in the thrash camp anyway. Some great mixes and deep cuts on your selection, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and glad you shared that story. He is quite an entertainer, I can only imagine what his current live shows would be like. I always keep an eye out on his work, and his recent Long Ambients series seems like it might be a good place to jump back in.

      Delete