26 April, 2023

233f - A few long tracks from Laswell






This mix features the first tracks of Bill Laswell's that I really got into.  Sure I'd heard plenty and his name was familiar to me so these were the beginnings of me actively seeking out his material.  The Orb Remix of Mantra was from Trance Europe Express and stood out as something unique in that otherwise excellent compilation.  Then I purchased my first album from Bill Laswell Lo-Def Pressure, which was this beautiful combination of drum and bass and tablas.  A friend gave me a copy of Cyclops which was also great, and a clear divergence from the superb and sublime dub that I knew Laswell best for.  Oddly in the middle of this mix is one of the most recent tracks I came across from Laswell, in his Lost Remixes series.  Then of course, the tremendously wonderful "Western Lands" which is another great project alongside Hashisheen telling the story of Alamut and Hasan I Sabbah.  The ending this with my #1 favorite track, Bill's remix of Scorn's Night Ash Black.  I can and have listened to that track on repeat for hours.

00:00  Material - Mantra (Orb Remix)
07:08  Bill Laswell - Black Ice
31:28  Bill Laswell - x29
38:16  Kankawa - Limbic System
46:57  Material - The Western Lands (A Dangerous Road Mix)
55:08  Scorn - Night Ash Black (Slow Black Underground River mix by Bill Laswel)


https://insheepsclothinghifi.com/bill-laswell-in-conversation/

No comments:

Post a Comment