23 March, 2024

387 Three Questions: Happiness and Fond Memories


The third of his questions.  Songs that evoke happiness and fond memories.  

His Name Is Alive's track is kind of my spiritual anthem when I am out in nature and feel that meditation-connectedness and bliss as if I'm part of everything.  This Godspeed You Black Emperor is a little long, but has such a powerful climax and impact on me; I can't do anything but smile - this is purportedly a reworking of Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3 Op 36 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs).  Seefeel are an electronic/shoegaze band and this is my favorite from them - brings such joy everytime I hear its hypnotic sounds.   Broadcast, easily my all time favorite artist, I had a very hard time selecting one song.  Psychic TV's The Orchids is such an out of place track for them (most of the members were the first industrial band Throbbing Gristle).  The Sundays are my guilty pleasure, and I absolutely adore this song.  This Devendra Banhart cover of Townes Van Zandt is very special, it's the song I sang both of my daughters to sleep with.  Lastly is Bright Eyes, and this song hits so close to home it could've been written about my group of friends in the 90s.


00:00  His Name is Alive - We Hold The Land in Great Esteem
03:52  Godspeed You Black Emperor - Moya
14:24  Seefeel - Spangle
21:33  Broadcast - Come on Let's Go
24:41  Psychic TV - The Orchids
27:36  The Sundays - Here's Where The Story Ends
31:23  Devendra Banhart - Colorado Girl (Townes Van Zandt)
34:52  Bright Eyes - Gold Mine Gutted



photo credit:  Senor Griffin 2004 (RIP)

No comments:

Post a Comment