20 December, 2023

348a Neu! Lineage



Those pioneers we've come to know and love over their three albums (four or five if you count those ones that really sound like a completely different band).   Yes talking about Dinger and Rother.  I recall having my mind blown when I purchased "Neu! 2" from the beachside Taang records in San Diego, along with SSD discography, DJ Spooky's "Subliminal Minded EP", Third Eye Foundation's "I poo poo on your juju" and Nurse With Wound's Automating 2.  The clerk rightly said, "Well one of these sticks out like a sore thumb."   Still, Neu! were well known by artists citing them as inspiration, and I knew the Legendary Pink Dot's cover of "Super."  I had no idea what else to expect, and I was beyond surprised.  A few months later, a roommate that worked at an Independent records pulled a copy of Neu! 1 from their incoming vinyl order, and set it aside for me.  I rushed over that afternoon to pick it up and it didn't leave my turntable for weeks.

On to this mix, as I know most readers should already know them and their history.  This mix focuses on what came after for Dinger and Rother.  Aside from Hallogallo 2010, nothing ever really lived up to the pure joy I felt hearing Neu!, but there are still some great moments, especially with Harmonia.  Here's a brief overview of their post-Neu! output.

00:00  Hallogallo 2010 - Negativland (live)
06:07  Harmonia - Monza (Rauf und Runter)
13:05  Harmonia - Live at Fabrik in Hamburg (1975)
23:49  Harmonia & Eno 76 - Atmosphere
27:03  Brian Eno & Harmonia - Trace
27:53  La Dusseldorf - Time
37:13  Michael Rother - Zyklodrom
46:39  1-A Dusseldorf - Overture
50:26  Klaus Dinger - Lilienthal
54:57  Hallogallo 2010 - Drone Schlager
59:47  La Dusseldorf - Kittelbach Symphony


photo credit: discogs

No comments:

Post a Comment