16 December, 2023

346 Lust was the direct cause of birth which was the direct cause of suffering and death





Straying from alternative and into post-punk territory a bit, before returning with some stone cold classics.  Yeah, Pretty Girls Make Graves are on the last two mixes and this one, so what, they're great.  While I knew XTC from some of their later output, I'd never heard this song until Primus covered it.  My wife had the Strokes CD when we started dating and we never listened to it, I put it on this week and remembered there were some good tracks on it.  The Cardigans again, this time covering Kraftwerk; while Snakefinger's cover is my favorite, this one holds up pretty well.  Second Still is another random find, along with the Part Time Punks sessions which I came across via The Prids.  Longtime fan of the Raveonettes, there are certain occasions where their sound fits the mood perfectly.  Sasami is one I have mixed feelings over - a local radio DJ said she has one of the most unique and unparalleled sound.  A statement I disagree with, and find this song's style to be a very overt copy of His Name Is Alive's late 90's early 2000's output.  Very, very similar.  I mean to include more Black Heart Procession in my mixes, all their stuff is fantastic.  I don't recall where or how I came across Magick Brother & Mystic Sister, but I like them!  Then some diversity to this mix coming via Khruangbin, early My Morning Jacket, and my wife's favorite song from The Church.  I included this Depeche Mode track because I had a nostalgic moment remembering one of my students that wanted me to teach her all of Violator on the guitar.  The more tracks leading up to the most wonderful closer by the Cranes, I wish there was an extended mix of that track, its so beautiful.


00:00  The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - This Love is Fucking Right!
02:58  Fake Names - Darkest Days
06:14  Gang of Four - Ether
10:03  Pretty Girls Make Graves - Ghosts in the Radio
12:55  XTC - Making Plans for Nigel
16:58  The Strokes - The Modern Age
20:23  The Cardigans - Das Model ('00)
23:08  Second Still - New Barn
26:54  The Raveonettes - Veronica Fever
29:30  Sasami - Make It Right
31:59  Black Heart Procession - The Look in My Eyes
34:48  Stereolab - Wow and Flutter (7" EP Version, alternate mix)
37:41  Magick Brother & Mystic Sister - Waterforms
41:27  Khruangbin - Mary Always
44:37  My Morning Jacket - Xmas Curtain
49:28  The Church - Under the Milky Way
54:17  Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
57:54  Mitski - Love Me More
61:20  Blonde Redhead - En Particulier
65:20  Stereo MC's - Connected
69:15  The Crystal Method - (Can't You) Trip Like I Do
73:31  Cranes - Adoration



photo credit: Sonic Drive-thru vandalism/art

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one, Moz. Great breadth of tunes. I have most of these but spread over so many files it would be a pain to assemble. I thank you for doing the job & a great one at that. & I'm taking credit for Magick Brother & Mystic Sister, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes credit to you for that excellent find. And a second thanks for your Dub of Crazemas series, loving the selections there.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I forgot the second o. Have a great holi-daze & glad you're enjoying the 12 Dubs of Crazemas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Thought you might have been referencing Morrissey there. ;-) I've had a lifetime of no one getting my real name right, so am very used to it. Hope you have a great holi-daze as well, tis the season.

      Delete