28 May, 2024

428 Sounds like broken glass




Yes, more 90's-ish alternative music but top notch stuff all the way through.  I'd heard several of these on 102.3 here in Denver and these songs always bring back great memories.  I had a friend in high school that would do almost automatic writing of all the Concrete Blonde lyrics - this guy would fill up notebooks all from memory of every song.  Here is the 7 inch version of The Wagon from Dino Jr, sounds ever so slightly different from the LP mix.  I included Talulah Gosh's self titled track because we recently adopted a puppy named Talulah and I couldn't get this song out of my head.  The Pains of Being Pure At Heart is a fantastic named group, and I've had this track appear on multiple mixes over the years, though first time on this blog.  Next I included my wife's favorite song from the Gits.  Then Placebo, who I was really into back in the early 2000's but haven't listened to since.  Guardian Singles are a newer band I'd only recently stumbled across via some great writeups on the web.  Weed and the subsequent track from Hotline TNT both came to my attention when I saw the latter open up for Quicksand last year.  The former is the earlier project from the same guy.  Threw in the Strokes in-between to split it up and just cause I hadn't hear this track in a while.  

Moving way back to Soul Asylum's very early days when they were toying with punk rock.  I still love that cassette "Time's Incinerator" with all its wonky tracks.  Quickly shifting gears and including a rather odd dub from the Psychedelic furs.  Then an iconic track from Radiohead (aren't they all).  This one came across my view via an Instagram post asking musicians what their favorite climaxes were in music.  I've had this 12" on Gold Standard Labs from The Convocation Of for about 20 years, don't know anything else about that group but love this EP.  The Dream Syndicate are back in frequent rotation on my stereo right now.  The Standells track is an oldie but a goodie, which Minor Threat covered to great acclaim.  This Blondie track is in my opinion, better than the final released version, its closer in style to the original and I think its more fun.  Followed that with a banger from The Beat and a comp appearance from Common Rider.  Yeah, this took a short detour from straightforward alternative rock here.   Back to the core, PJ Harvey makes an appearance that really shines.  Bedhead doing Joy Division, and then one of the rarities/extras from the Stone Roses box set of their first album to close it out.

00:00  The Pixies - Surf of Mutilation
02:15  Concrete Blonde - Bajo la Lune Mexicana
07:08  Dinosaur Jr - The Wagon (7" version)
11:44  Talulah Gosh - Talulah Gosh
15:04  The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Higher Than The Stars
18:44  The Gits - Bob (Cousin O)
21:45  Placebo - Nancy Boy (radio edit)
24:55  Guardian Singles - Tea Lights Exploding
27:35  Weed - Ben's Tour
31:57  The Strokes - Hard To Explain
35:40  Hotline TNT - Beauty Filter
37:46  Soul Asylum - Broken Glass
40:00  Psychedelic Furs - Heartbreak Beat (Dub)
45:39  Radiohead - Pyramid Song
50:12  The Convocation Of - Southern Pass
52:35  The Dream Syndicate - When You Smile
55:36  The Standells - Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White
58:37  Blondie - Once I Had A Love (1975 demo)
62:31  The English Beat - Too Nice To Talk To
65:35  Common Rider - Signal Signal (alternate version)
68:06  PJ Harvey - Down By The Water
71:07  Bedhead - Disorder (Joy Division)
75:45  The Stone Roses - Simone (unreversed)



photo credit: Family Guy Damaged meme

No comments:

Post a Comment