21 November, 2023

332 Black Sabbath Covers





Oh yes, I am passionate about Black Sabbath, and have the t-shirt "You can only trust yourself and the first six Black Sabbath albums."  I'd like to update that and say only the first four.  There are several tribute albums out there, and certainly a mixed bag of quality in the output.  I've picked what I consider to be some of the better versions here, and a few that are just cool interpretations or surprise appearances.  Only repeated one track, because they were such different interpretations, plus I love hearing the Budos Band back up Charles Bradley on his version.  Yeah, I know I used Brown Sabbath multiple times here; it should be obvious that I don't follow the rules of a mix tape set forth in High Fidelity.  Hopefully a surprise for the casual listener is Beth Gibbons from Portishead doing a tremendously cool version of the namesake track.  I had a friend that kept pushing the Cardigans on me, which I only knew "Lovefool."  Turns out they did several Sabbath and Ozzy covers in their own style and they work pretty well.  I honestly kept the track by Shelter in here because it may not be the best cover, but it is not everyday you get to hear Hari Krishna's doing a cover of Black Sabbath.  I left off Helmet's version in place of Quix*O*tic, and Marissa Nadler in place of Rondellus - they were both pretty mellow and this one fit better as a closer.  I wanted to include the Matmos cover of FX but it really didn't fit in anywhere, which I suppose was the point of the original track on Vol 4.  I did include these on the spotify mix because some other tracks weren't available (a common theme with that platform).  Who knows, I may get motivated and make a part 2 for this mix someday.  I had to choose something totally absurd, but also true for the cover here.



00:00  Zola Jesus - Changes
05:50  Sleep - Snowblind
11:37  Isis - Hand of Doom
19:59  Quix*O*tic - Lord of this World
25:29  Brown Sabbath - Into the Void
31:50  Neurosis - Children of the Grave
37:23  Brownout - Fairies Wear Boots
44:14  The Cardigans - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
48:31  Charles Bradley - Changes
54:06  Ruthie Foster - War Pigs
58:36  Gonga feat Beth Gibbons - Black Sabbeth
65:53  Hilary Woods - N.I.B.
68:52  Brown Sabbath feat David Jimenez - Planet Caravan  
75:57  The Cardigans - Iron Man
80:11  Anthrax - Neon Knights
84:33  Shelter - After Forever
87:23  Rondellus - Solitudo



photo credit: https://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/products/lullaby-renditions-of-black-sabbath

2 comments:

  1. I'm a first six Sabbath album fan. I actually prefer Sabotage over MoR and V4. And, Technical Ecstasy is actually a good album. Never Say Die! isn't bad either. Put me down for an eight album fan. :) Anyway, if you like Christmas music, check out Santa Sabbath if you haven't already. Good King Wenceslas (Symptom of the Universe) is probably my fav. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town (The Wizard) another fav. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, thank you for the recommendation - I'd not come across that one yet but will certainly seek it out today! Tis the season.

      Delete