01 November, 2023

326a Cocteau Twins Rarities





This is for my wife.  She LOVES Cocteau Twins and I barely knew them when we met.  To remedy that I quickly purchased the 2CD BBC sessions comp, and checked out a vinyl copy of "Heaven or Las Vegas" from the library (quite a find).  The post-punk energy and darkness of "Garlands" era resonated the most with me.  It wasn't until I came across the "Otherness" EP with remixes by Seefeel member Mark Clifford that I really opened up to the ethereal dreaminess of the majority of their work.  Our first Christmas together, I bought my wife the 10CD Box set "Singles Collection" and we listened to those quite often, so I became much more familiar with the non-album tracks.  

This mix may not be that super-rare, but it is rare enough to my wife and I.  Covering non-album tracks, soundtracks, alternate versions and even those Fruitopia commercials jingles they did.  As expected the sound quality of rare tracks will vary, but I think its pleasing overall.  

The youtube and spotify mixes may not have all the rare versions, so I did my best.  Like the demo version of Perhaps Some Other Aeon, or the alternat version of Pink Orange Red.  Plus spotify seems to only have Lullabies to Violane and the 10CD singles box set, there are a lot of gaps in the playlist there.

00:00  Alice (Violaine)
04:16  Circling Girl (Volume version)
07:41  Summerblink (Doom Generation)
10:43  Orange Apppled (Love's Easy Tears)
13:26  Fruitopia #1 (Rarities and B-Sides)
13:54  Mud and Dark (Evangeline)
17:26  Need-Fire (Judge Dread)
21:22  Touch Upon Touch (Volume version)
25:23  Ivo (Alternate Version) (Treasure)
29:21  Perhaps Some Other Aeon (Demo) (Speak No Evil)
32:19  Pitch The Baby (Alternate Version) (Red Tape)
35:52  The Thinner The Air (Massive Attack Mix) (Victorialand)
38:53  Crushed (Lonely is an Eyesore)
42:02  Primitive Heart (Tishbite)
45:49  Flock of Soul (Tishbite)
49:15  Pink Orange Red (Alternate Version) (Rarities and B-Sides)
53:44  Evangeline (Treasure Hiding)
58:06  Dials (Rare Tracks EP)
60:34  Fruitopia #2 (Rarities and B-Sides)
61:18  Oomingmak (Instrumental) (Rare Tracks EP)
63:56  Round (Tishbite)
67:26  The High Monkey-Monk (Rare Tracks EP)
70:26  Be Still (Robin Guthrie Mix) (Rarities and B-Sides)
73:57  Tranquil Eye (Violaine Pink)
  


photo credit: https://lyriquediscorde.com/2022/05/03/know-who-you-are-at-every-age-by-cocteau-twins-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment