15 August, 2024

454 Latest Ideas mix 2



More electronic on this one, though continuing the topic from the last mix.  Revisited a few old hip hop albums for the first couple tracks.  Went with Pacifics from Digable as its a great track that I don't play as often as their "hits."  Then this excellent remix of The Stone Roses, featuring Jhonn Balance sample from Windowpane - I was so happy to hear this, even back in the 90s when it was released.  Never thought that Coil and Stone Roses would end up in the same sentence, let alone having Grooverider be the catalyst for that.  Yes, I've been on a Sade kick lately, and there are several wonderful remixes that take this up a notch from yacht rock.  When you think you've had enough of this cover song by MBM, I dig up another good and rare remix.  

I should really include more from Laika in my mixes as I used to love their stuff so much.  This EP/single is top notch.  Then Vuelvetoloca, which I only got for this APTBS remix as it sounds more like the remixer than the original artist.  I know I've included this Wetherall track a few times before, that's ok since its so dang good.  I don't listen to the Sugarcubes much at all, so revisited It's It and remembered how much I enjoyed these Justin Robertson remixes.  

Any casual visitor of my mixes knows what's coming next, some dubby grooves.  Sly and Robbie make an appearance with an Eurythmics remix.  Then a recording of Talk Back from the movie Pretty in Pink.  They're a band that plays in the club, however not on the original soundtrack - I had to wait for the John Hughes box set to come up to get a proper recording of this track.  Common Rider makes another appearance simply because I didn't want to include them twice on the previous mix.  The Drastics I think I picked up based on the cool cover artwork.  The Specials doing an excellent Prince Buster cover (Madness wasn't the only two tone ska band that nailed covering his music).  Toots and the Maytals, saw some random rom-com with my wife and this was the opening track, which surprised me.  Shinehead covering Sting, with adapted lyrics.  And then ending with Laika, for the aforementioned reasons.


00:00  Grandmaster Flash - Scorpio (Coldcut Remix)
06:57  Digable Planets - Pacifics
11:24  The Stone Roses - Fools Gold (Grooverider remix)
17:23  Sade - King of Sorrow (Fun Lovin' Criminals Remix)
21:51  Funky 4 + 1 - That's The Joint (Rae & Christian Remix)
27:43  Meat Beat Manifesto - Asbestos Lead Asbestos (Pedigree Dogs Don't Like The Smell of Your Children)
32:51  Laika - Almost Sleeping (edit)
36:32  Vuelvetoloca - Chepical (A Place To Bury Strangers remix)
39:20  Andrew Weatherall - Feathers
45:16  The Sugarcubes - Birthday (Justin Robertson 12" mix)
52:43  Sly and Robbie - Here Comes The Rain Again
56:45  Talk Back - Rudy
60:48  Common Rider - Conscious Burning
63:35  The Drastics - Unwritten Chapters
67:02  Specials - Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think)
70:32  Toots and the Maytals - (Take Me Home) Country Roads (John Denver)
73:44  Shinehead - Jamacian in New York (Sting)
78:09  Laika - Spider Happy Hour


No comments:

Post a Comment