13 August, 2024

454 Latest Ideas mix 1



These are all songs that popped in my head over the last couple weeks.  A few things of note...

The Neither/Neither World cover is quite nice, and had a good chuckle when my wife mistook the opening chords for "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," which she attributed to Motley Crue.  Love her and her mistakes in naming bands and songs.  She's the type that will sing loud and proud, even if she gets the lyrics wrong.  I love this instrumental track from LPD, you can definitely feel Ryan's influence here as this is not just instrumental, but a dubbed out remix of a stellar track from that era.   The HNIA track is from the Shaving the Pavement compilation which N0 had so kindly helped me track down - its not that much different from the album version, but it does have that trademark Warn Defever extra bit at the end.  Marina Allen sounds like she nicked this one from the early 2000-era HNIA.

The Girl in Red track was a wonderful surprise, a very positive and uplifting track that I am so happy my daughters like and will listen to this.  Then a rare early version of Procession, and a track from my favorite Talking Head's album (I think I may be in the minority on that one).  The weirdest Joy Division track, which its worth tracking down the Tortoise cover of this one.  Moving into some absolute staples of 90's alternative rock - I'd gone out for some beers with some fellow dads and they couldn't stop talking about this kind of stuff and it stuck in my head for weeks afterwards.  

The Filter track is one of those songs that my wife and I could sing along to, and always forgot what band performed it.  The Stone Roses from a rehearsal tape provided by Madchester Rave-On before they went private on that blog.  Talulah Gosh again, because that's the namesake of my puppy.  A demo from the Buck Pets which though simple, is quite an excellent track.  The Walkmen, which came up on the radio recently and I realized I never really dove into their catalog much, an oversight I am currently remedying.  

A rare Pixies track from the Rubáiyát compilation.  Frank Turner, also played heavily on the local indie radio station.  DFL48 which I have to break out every couple months because that album is just so dang good.  More from Los Villains as I'm so happy I found and dug out their CD from my archives in storage.  My younger daughter has very strong opinions that Operation Ivy is great, but Common Rider is just a little bit better.  Heard my friends' band cover Face to Face recently and that made me very happy.  Then wrapping it up with an out of place Deftones song on this mix, just cause.  And a fun German track, which is entertaining to translate the lyrics.

The spotify playlist is close, but a little loose based on some of the more obscure tracks in this mix.

00:00  Neither/Neither World - Darklands (Jesus & Mary Chain)
03:34  Legandary Pink Dots - Sterre Instrumental
07:39  His Name Is Alive - ESP Summer (Shaving the Pavement version)
10:33  Marina Allen - Foul Weather Jacket Drawing
13:43  Girl In Red - I'm Back
16:38  Jane Weaver - Happiness in Proximity
20:07  New Order - Procession (First Movement version)
23:46  Talking Heads - Arists Only
27:16  Joy Division - As You Said
29:09  Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
32:52  Urge Overkill - Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon (Neil Diamond)
35:52  James - Laid
38:22  The Dream Syndicate - Tell Me When It's Over
41:40  Filter - Take A Picture
47:27  The Stone Roses - Elephant Stone (Rehearsal #3)
49:28  The Telescopes - High On Fire
52:06  Talulah Gosh - The Girl with the Strawberry Hair
54:22  The Buck Pets - A Little Murder (demo)
58:09  Pretty Girls Make Graves - All Medicated Geniuses
61:27  The Walkmen - The Rat
65:43  Pixies - Born in Chicago (Paul Butterfield Blues Band)
67:50  Frank Turner - Girl From The Record Shop
69:34  Dancing French Liberals of '48 - New Drinking Song
72:32  Los Villains - Sun Bandits
75:03  Common Rider - Rough Redemption
77:27  Face To Face - Not Enough
80:16  Deftones - Birthmark
84:22  Withuser & Westrupp - Nimm doch einen Joint, mein Freund



No comments:

Post a Comment