13 September, 2024

459 What the water gave me




A mix of some nice mellow indie folk and some stone cold classics.  Whenever I have a stressful day, this Spiritualized track is what helps me calm down again.  I've been having conversations with a guy that works for me about Leonard Cohen; he said he had never paid much attention to him so I am giving him plenty of accessible entry points to correct that oversight.  I love the version of Dirtnap Stories by :Of The Wand And The Moon: but the original version fits better in this set.  However, the cover of Mantra on an acoustic fits better than the original by Shelter.  I saw an Instagram post where Ray played this on an acoustic, but it was only 30 seconds, and I really liked the more mellow sound to it. (Note that the other two tracks are included in the spotify playlist, as the ones I listed below weren't available which is very odd). I remember putting this Mountain Goats song on mix tapes for friends just to piss them off with how he pronounces Morrissey (which is intentional).  

00:00  Spiritualized - Cool Waves (String Session mix)
05:43  Roberts Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song
10:24  Mojave 3 - Mercy (KCRW Acoustic)
13:51  Big Thief - Vampire Empire
17:01  Lucy Dacus - Brando
19:47  Nico - These Days
23:12  Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
28:15  Nick Cave - Helpless (Neil Young)
32:34  Otis Redding - Cigarettes & Coffee
36:27  Bonnie Prince Billy - No Such as What I Want
39:55  Calexico - Ballad of Cable Hogue
43:16  The Gaslight Anthem - Boxer
46:33  Lee Hazlewood - Dirtnap Stories
50:13  Jeff Eisenberg Kirtan - Mantra (Shelter)
52:56  Angels of Light - Sunset Park
58:44  The Mountain Goats - Anti-Music Song
60:12  Marcia Griffiths - The First Time I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack)
64:08  Matt Elliott - Cotard's Syndrome



photo credit: Frida Kahlo "What the Water Game Me"

4 comments:

  1. Lucy Dacus' "Brando" is a great tune, and unfortunate so many claim today's music sucks. They're just not looking/listening in the right places. Otis' "Cigarettes & Coffee" is a gimme, and kudos for the inclusion. As for Cohen, Calexico's "Ballad of Cable Hogue" could pass for one of his tunes. I suppose the melody or something reminds me of "The Future," my fav of Leonard's. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that Lucy Dacus track is infectious and reaffirms that there are still great new songs coming out. I can see the association you're making there with Calexico and Cohen, very nice! My favorite from him will always be "Avalanche."

      Delete
  2. looks interesting. must confess, before clicking I was expecting to see Cub's 'What the Water Gave Me' on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for calling that out. I'd never heard that track before and really like it. I'd named this mix after the Frida Kahlo painting, not knowing there were songs with the same title.

      Delete