26 September, 2023

399 Top 11-20 EPs





Next chunk of my all time favorite EPs, presented in no logical order.   Meat Beat made the cut again, because while their albums are amazing, I think they really shine in the EP format.  Mr Jack Dangers has such a creative knack for making something completly new when he self-remixes.  The Now remixes here are simply wonderful, and the inclusion of Love Mad a non LP track is one of the highlights from this era.  The closer is a live excerpt called Children of the Beloved and is a wall of noise with the familiar dialogue (from Storm the Studio) on top.  Next up is DJ Wally who I featured recently in a two part overview.  This is the track that drew my to him from the great Headz 2A compilation on Mo Wax.  To my ears, there isn't any difference between that "Nitty Mix" and the one from this 12".  The title track Mustard Plaster was such a fun tune back in the 90's, and holds a lot of great memories for me.  

Moving along now to the Yellow Magic Orchestra and The Orb's remixes.  I came across these on the YMO tribute/remix album "Hi Tech - No Crime" which is a bit dated now, yet has several timeless tracks like the two from the Orb.  I loved those so much, I spent quite a while tracking down this three track EP featuring different mixes.  I believe there is a promo 12" that has two other mixes, but I've never come across that.  I love the groove the Orb makes on all of these, and this EP has such a flow to it, I think it works well as one long 30 minute adventure as opposed to individual remixes.  Then there is Aphex Twin in an early remix EP for their single On.  All four tracks on here are in stark contrast to each other, which is what I love about diverse artists on a remix EP.  This u-Ziq remix has that fun tape squelch at the beginning that I love how the artist said he thought it added character and left it in.  And things like that are non-existent in the now digital recording age.  

I've asserted my fondness for the track "Semi-Detatched" from Orbital before, having found it on the Trance Europe Express compilation.  Here is the superb peel sessions version where it is paired up with a stunning version of Attached.  I agree with one of the commenters on Discogs, this is likely the best thing Orbital ever recorded.  Following that epic track with one of the best surprise 7" I ever bought.  His Name Is Alive in their 3rd appearance in my Top lists.  This one is a fun little 7" on Friendly Science records, and they reinvented their sound again for this doing a fantastic dubby pop style that works so very well.  I've included the full side here as there is a good minute or so extra that didn't appear on their CD-R "Rare Tracks in the Snow."  For the longest time, I thought the two sides were titled Brazil/Loins des Sambas as that was about the only information listed on the labels.  Now according to Discogs, the track is called "Sound System Wants it Sweet" and "Cinnamon Sound System is the extra bit at the end... however on "Rare Tracks" this is clearly called Cinnamon Sound System.  Whatever, they can do what they want.

Now the apex of this mix, "Moya" from Godspeed You Black Emperor!  Goodness, this is a monster of a jam and a reworking of the third symphony of Gorecki.  I've turned many friends on to this band and in return a good friend took me to see them live a few years back.  And yes their live shows do live up to all the hype and reviews.  This two tack EP is still the highlight of their catalogue for me, probably because it was the first I'd heard, and my dog ate my copy of Lift Your Skinny Fists... before I had a chance to listen to the whole thing.  No clue why I never replaced that copy.  This is followed by some mellow stylings from Piano Magic.  This track was one of the first I'd heard from them on the Seasonally Affective compilation, and the style and lyrics really resonated with me.  The B-side, "The Canadian Brought Us Snow" is equally great earning this a spot in my best EPs ever.

Scorn's early years are my favorite, though I do hold a great appreciation for their work in the post-NJ Bullen age.  This EP in particular really highlights some dark dark dark illbient and ambient works.  Their use and choice of samples in superb, and this minimal mix of the title track has this chill groove and creepy ambience to it.  Years after I bought the 10", I got the CD version which appends the "Lick Forever Dog" EP and one out of place remix.  I do like the Ninj remix, it just doesn't fit at all with the rest of these songs.  Lastly is The Residents with their opus, "Santa Dog."  Either you know it and love it, or you avoid it like the plague (my wife is in the latter category).  Say what you will, The Residents hold a special place in the history of art, music, and culture.


00:00  Meat Beat Manifesto - Love Mad (Now)
03:26  DJ Wally - My Bloody Valentine (Mustard Plaster)
08:38  Yellow Magic Orchestra - Tong Poo (Green Herbage Mix) (YMO vs The Orb Tong Poo Remixes)
17:11  Aphex Twin - On (u-Ziq mix) (On)
25:45  Orbital - Semi Detatched (Peel Sessions)
33:49  His Name Is Alive - Cinnamon Sound System (Friendly Science)
38:29  Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Moya (Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada)
49:17  Piano Magic - There's No Need For Us To Be Alone (7")
53:15  Scorn - White Irises Blind (Minimal Mix) (White Irises Blind)
59:00  The Residents - Fire (Santa Dog)


Spotify (again not enough of these tracks available)

photo credit: Lonesome Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment