27 January, 2023

Episode 160 - Lovetta's era



My fourth overview mix of His Name Is Alive covers a transitional period.  Karin left the band, the guest singer Lovetta was put in the front slot and the band shed their former 4AD, hauntology, nostalgia pop sounds for more electronic and straight up R&B.  This was short lived and only covered two official albums and a handful of EPs, plus many items on their CDr imprint Time Stereo.  I was not a fan, but that has changed over time.  I'm glad I saved all those discs, and revisited now that I am older and wiser.  This is good music overall, and feels more like a side project than an evolution of the band I loved to much in the 90's.  Here I've selected two mixes of the best cuts and remixes from this stage... which also includes their outstanding roots-style dub cuts which honestly is the reason I came back to this period in their history.  This is actually two longer mixes that I consolidated to one for inclusion here, hence some repeated titles though they are radically unique versions.

00:00  Interlude (No Hiding Place remix)
01:55  My Name (remix - Detroit River)
05:19  One Year
08:49  Your Cheating Heart
12:16  No Hiding Place Down Her
16:37  Happy Blues (Susumu Yokota remix)
21:18  Crawlin
24:48  Detroit (Studio)
28:13  Someday My Blues Will Cover The Earth (Burnt Friedman Nonplace remix)
31:45  Nothing Special (Burnt Friedman Nonplace remix)
35:42  Solitude (Stars) (Ellington)
38:44  Are We Still Married 
42:11  Moon Dance (Stars) (Van Morrison)
46:21  Write My Name (Tony Ollivierra remix)
51:17  Nothing Special (Herrmann and Kleine remake)
55:19  Cheater (remix - Detroit River)
58:40  One Year Dub
62:30  Last Blue (live)
64:58  Karins Blues
68:12  No Hiding (WDET Radio)
72:51  Everything Takes Forever
76:49  Sinner Man (Man)
79:07  Write My Name (rock'n'roll)

photo credit: found image from Amazon search

No comments:

Post a Comment