01 December, 2022

Episode 104 - A hint of hope in every cry of desperation




Some standards and popular tunes in this mix.  I got into blues music through Stevie Ray Vaughan first, as I am a guitarist and was trying to learn some of his songs.  Then through Led Zeppelin, when I found out many of their songs were covers or loose interpretations of classics.  I also recall reading an interview of David Tibet (Current 93) where he expressed appreciation of Blind Willie Johnson, Charlie Patton, and a focus on Delta Blues.  Can't fail to mention the PBS Ken Burns documentary on the Blues. The more I opened myself up to the blues, the more I enjoyed the classics.  I never really found enjoyment in the more modern styles that seemed to be appearing in bars and small concert halls I came across, but those did draw a good crowd.  As expected, these are very old recordings and the sound quality is rough in some places.  That is part of the charm for me.

00:00 Stevie Ray Vaughan - Empty Arms
03:24 Jimi Hendrix - Red House
07:04 Elmore James - The Sky is Crying
09:45 Muddy Waters - Baby, Please Don't Go
12:30 Howlin Wolf - Killing Floor
15:13 Ray Charles - I'm Wonderin and Wonderin
18:26 Muddy Waters - You Need Love
21:02 Woody Guthrie - House of the Rising Sun
23:57 Sleepy John Estes - Drop Down Mama
27:04 Bukka White - Fixin to Die Blues
29:50 Mississippi John Hurt - Stack O'Lee Blues
32:44 Blind Willie Johnson - It's Nobody's Fault But Mine
35:51 Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues
38:27 Willie Brown - Future Blues
41:20 Josh White - Jesus Gonna Make Up My Dying Bed
44:18 Charlie Patton - Prayer of Death: Part 1
47:18 Kansas Joe McCoy & Memphis Minnie - When The Levee Breaks
50:26 Blind Boy Fuller - Corrine What Makes You Treat Me So
53:21 Snooky Pryor - Someone To Love Me (Lost Woman)
55:48 Willie Dixon - I Can't Quit You Baby

photo credit: Charlie Patton photo (wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment